Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cruisin through Alaska


Happy Memorial Day-a little bit late. But hey I was on a cruise in a Alaska over Memorial Day.
i have to say it didn't start of so great. My first flight (to Atlanta then would connect to a flight to Seattle) was an hour late. Normally wouldn't be that big of a deal but I only had 45 minutes between flights in Atlanta. I missed my connecting flight and had to wait 3 hours for the next flight out. I had the last seat on that sucker, the middle seat, in between two guys. One extremely tall, but who slept the whole flight and one metrosexual guy with his eye mask on to sleep. Seemed to get an attitude when after about 4 hours i finally was like "excuse me" so I could get up. whatever dude. Anyways, just before I was boarding the flight to Seattle, I realized I didn't have my passport or my birth certificate! ahhhhhh!!! I was thinking Alaska, its the US why would I need it. Not remembering that we also were stopping in Canada. Luckily I texted and left a voicemail for my roommate and my mom called her, I knew exactly where my documents were and told her. She was able to find everything and scan it to my moms cousin who lives in Seattle and works 2 blocks away from the hotel we were at. So 8am the next morning she dropped those off. I had to take a cab to the hotel becuase the one we were staying at was not covered by the shuttle bus and the bus voucher i had from Holland america, they closed at 11 and i got in at midnight. However my luggage made it on the original plane i was supposed to be on, so it got to Seattle before I did.
The next morning, Diana dropped of the documents, we talked to the Holland America rep who said luckily they are the only cruise line who will accept copies of the actual documents. When we go through embarkation just ask to speak to a supervisor. When we got to the embarkation place, we talked with the supervisor. She saw we had copies of everything and was very happy to tell us it was all ok and we did good. And we got on the boat yay!! Apparently the week before a couple couldn't find the passports and had no copies. the were from Georgia and ended up not being able to get on the boat. So lesson learned, going on a cruise anywhere, always take your passport and birth certificate!
It was a great trip. Alaska is beautiful!! I took over 290 pictures, not including the ones I deleted along the way as bad ones lol. The weather was great! Juneau was around 72degrees, Sitka around 68, Galcier Bay 60's, and all sunny. Ketchikan (the Salmon Capital of the world and rain capital of alaska) was cloudy, around high 50's but no rain!! Victoria started in the 70's but since we got there in the evening it did drop quite a bit. We took 3 whale watching catamarans (Juneau, Sitka, and Victoria) Saw Humpback whales and seals in Alaska and in Canada we saw Killer Whales or "Orca's". We watched a whole pod, the J Pod, about 15-25 of them just frollicking and having fun. It was great! Couldn't get any great shots becuase of the boat bopping up and down and my slow camera but was really fun! I definelty recomment cruising to Alaska.

On the med front, the steri strips all fell off the med port removal incision. The scar is a little lumpy so I keep massaging it hoping it will go down and not be a keloid scar. but if it is it is. My next scan isn't until end of summer, though I kind of wish i had one a little sooner. Just nerves of not knowing or having confirmation that things are still fine.

If you want to see some pics just let me know, i'm not good at posting a bunch on here. or you can checkout my facebook page too (just ask for it)
happy summer!

No comments: