Monday, November 12, 2007

That special glow

Well kids, the verdict is in and it looks as though I will be getting radiation. I met with Dr Shah, the radiation oncologist. Wow such a nice guy. Young,nice, seemed very knowledgable, meticulous,accessible, personable, on top of everything. Gave me lots of info but even said you probably will only retain 40-60% of this lol. I did even take some notes. For example the stats for secondary cancer that he gave me were .5% per every year of life after radiation. So If you're 5 years out of radiation the percentage of developing a secondary cancer from radiation is 2.5%. Now, these are based on patients who were treated 10-20 years ago. 10-20 years ago the radiation dosages were much larger then they are now, so theoretically the actuall .5% should be lower since they use lower dosages now, and they are more precise (down to teh millimeter). So I feel very confident in Dr Shah. He said treatment would probably be 10-17 days. I go back on Thursday for their CatScan and the tattooing of the target spots and will find out exactly how many days I will go through then. But with Thanksgiving and me going out of town for that and for xmas its' gonna be fun. Looks like I'll get back from Thanksgiving down south then go to Philly for the 28th and 29th and then start radiation on the 30th and go (possible if 17days) straight to Dec 21 (with a saturday thrown in most likely dec 1) and then leave to go back down south on Dec 22. Time is gonna fly by!
So there's the update. Like I think I said previously, i look at it like a second line of defense!
Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

Kelly Kane said...

Sounds fabulous... sounds like you've got everything all planned out, glad you feel comfortable with the master plan!!

XO