Thursday, December 20, 2007

and one more "lovely" gift from radiation

Well well well, I now have one more gift from radiation. Something completely unexpected and rather annoying and upsetting. I woke up yesterday, hopped in the shower, was washin my hair and then looked at my hands to find hair all over them. Yep the back of my head is pretty much bald now. Unfortunately, I have to tilt my head back during radiation to keep my lower jaw out of the way, well, this has now put the back of my head in the field. It's now been zapped but good and those little follicles have all just fried up and let my hair go. Very sad since as of right now I only have 2 more treatments left, it was completely unexpected and the other spots that lost hair from chemo are finally all filling in and looking good. I guess the good thing is, from the front the hair looks good, its just at the back that looks pathetic. And its just hard as its come out pretty much all at once and not slowly.
I went and thought getting a haircut would help it, but not really. Just looks bald and splotchy. I wish she'd have actually listened when I said shave it off and blend the rest not just blend it down.
Throat is still messed up. The hardest part is swalloing the oxycodone pills in the morning. I try to wash them down with slimfast cause it's thick and coats them a little, and I cut them up in quarters.
Thanks Jessica for all the advise on the soft foods, it's much appreciated.
So far just swallowign even water is an icky experience. :(
Well today and tomorrow and then I'm done and hopefully things will improve quickly!!!!!

1 comment:

Kelly Kane said...

Sanders I'm soooo sorry to hear about the hair fallage... I've heard about that, but I guess I didn't know where exactly you were getting zapped... not that it would help to know it's coming :(

I'm excited that at least you're almost done with rads!!! YAAAY!

As for the oxycodone... I have a solution!!! They also make it in a liquid version! I got it when I had my surgery, and if I remember correctly it actually didn't taste that bad. Call the onc immediately! :)

XO

If we don't talk before you head home have a fabulous trip and Christmas!